Engage in Professional Development
The OPCD offers a broad range of professional development and educational programs focusing on various practice areas and the development of professional skills. The OPCD consults with the OPCD Ambassadors (made up of 1L, 2L and 3L students) and reviews annual OPCD student survey responses to develop programs of interest. The OPCD invites student organizations to co-sponsor career programs with the OPCD.
- OPCD Professional Development Manual
- Persuasive Advocacy in Resumes, Cover Letters, Interviews, Informational Meetings, etc.
- Mock Interview Program: In the spring following the end of final exams, OPCD arraigns mock interviews for students with law firms, corporate, government, public interest and non-traditional employers. In addition, OPCD conducts individual mock interviews with students and alumni throughout the year.
- Lawyer-to-Lawyer Program: Over a lunch hour, OPCD escorts students to the offices of a law firm, government agency, corporation or judge, where the students hear attorneys describe their practice area, what their typical work day looks like, and their own career paths. Lawyer-to-Lawyer Programs are among OPCD's most popular with students and the lawyers enjoy them immensely!
- Judicial Clerkship Assistance Program: The OPCD works individually with students interested in judicial clerkships (at the federal, state and local level), helping them to identify clerkship opportunities, and providing assistance with application materials, navigating the OSCAR on-line system for federal clerkships, and preparing for interviews.
- Pitt Law Academy Programs: Exclusive Pitt Law professional development programs that include topics such as “Public Law vs. Private Law Careers;” “How Do I Figure Out What Kind of Law I Want to Practice;” “Lawyers As Leaders;” and “Is It Possible to Be a Super Star Lawyer and Still Have a Personal Life/Family?” just to name a few.
- Join a Bar Association: