Michael J. Madison
Professor Madison writes and teaches about intellectual property law and policy, and about questions concerning the production and distribution of knowledge and innovation. He is the author of more than 30 journal articles and book chapters, the co-author of The Law of Intellectual Property (Wolters Kluwer, 4th edition 2013) and the co-editor of Governing Knowledge Commons (Oxford University Press 2014). He is the co-founder of the global research network titled the Workshop on Governing Knowledge Commons. Classroom subjects include various disciplines of intellectual property law, contracts and commercial law, and property law. His research and scholarship address the emerging discipline of knowledge commons, governance of innovation institutions, and knowledge as a subject of legal regulation.
Professor Madison joined the Pitt Law faculty in 1998. Before becoming a law professor, he practiced law in San Francisco and Silicon Valley for nine years. He received his JD from Stanford University and his BA from Yale.
Faculty Director, Innovation Practice Institute (2011-present)
Associate Dean for Research (2005-2010)
Faculty Director, Intellectual Property and Technology Law Certificate Program (2002-2005; 2014-present)
Faculty Director, Innovation and Intellectual Property Law Concentration (2014-present)
Intellectual Property Law
Law & Technology
Books and Book Chapters (selected)
- Governing Knowledge Commons (with Brett M. Frischmann and Katherine J. Strandburg) (Oxford University Press 2014)
- The Law of Intellectual Property, 3rd edition, (with Craig Nard and Mark McKenna), includes Teachers' Manual and website (Wolters Kluwer 2013)
Articles and Essays (selected)
- Constructing Commons in the Cultural Environment, 95 CORNELL L. REV. 657-709 (2010) (with Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg). On SSRN.
- The Complexity of Commons, 95 CORNELL L. REV. 839-850 (2010) (with Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg). On SSRN.
- Beyond Creativity, Copyright as Knowledge Law, 12 VANDERBILT J. ENT. & TECH. L. 817-851 (2010). On SSRN.
- Some Optimism About Fair Use and Copyright Law, 57 J. COPYRIGHT SOC'Y U.S.A. 351-370 (2010). On SSRN.
- Of Coase and Comics, or the Comedy of Copyright, 95 VA. L. REV. IN BRIEF 27- 42 (2009). On SSRN.
- Notes on a Geography of Knowledge, 77 FORDHAM L. REV. 2038-2085 (2009). On SSRN.
- The University as Constructed Cultural Commons, 30 WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY J.L. & POL’Y 365-406 (2009) (with Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg). On SSRN.
Awards and Honors
- The Yale Medal (2014)
- Fellow, Educating Tomorrow's Lawyers (2012)
- Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award (2009)