George Pike's expertise in on-line legal research not only provides tremendous support for the Pitt Law School faculty, students, and staff. His continuing legal education courses on internet law and resources are immensely popular with the practicing bar, as well. He is the co-author of Business Resources on the Internet, a web-based gateway to professional business resources for law and business librarians. A member of the American Association of Law Libraries and the American Society of Information Science, Professor Pike has lectured on copyright and fair use issues to numerous library and education groups. He is also a member of the Idaho State Bar Association, and previously practiced law with Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc.
- Effective Research Strategies for the Practitioner
- International Legal Research
- IP & Fair Use Seminar
Director, Barco Law Library
- Legal Research
- Computer Accessed Legal Research
- Internet Law and Resources
- Copyright Law
Works in Progress:
- George H. Pike Private Libraries and Public Patrons: The Application of Public Forum Doctrine to Non-Public Libraries (work in progress).
- George H. Pike, Electronic Legal Research, Chapter 22 in Fundamentals of Legal Research 9th ed. (Mersky & Dunn, eds., to be published summer 2009).
- Patent Reform is Back Before Congress, 26(5) Information Today (May 2009).
- HIPAA Gets New Privacy Rules, 26(4) Information Today, at 13 (April 2009)
- Copyright Office to Consider DMCA Exemptions, 26(3) Information Today, at 13 (March 2009)
- The Fences of a Patent, 26(2) Information Today, at 13 (February 2009)
- Business Method Patents in Jeopardy, 26(1) Information Today, at 15 (January 2009)
- Anti-Spam Legislation Setbacks, 25(11) Information Today, at 17 (December 2008)
- The New President and the Information Industry, 25(10) Information Today, at 17 (November 2008)
- Evaluating Free Online Legal Information, 32(5) Online, at 20 (September/October 2008)
- The Right to Remain Anonymous 25(4) Information Today (April 2008).
- Section 108 Study Group Releases Report (forthcoming on Information Today NewsBreak April 7, 2008).
- George H. Pike, Patent Reform in 2008? 25(3) Information Today 17(March 2008).
- George H. Pike, Congress Adds copyright to Agenda 25(2) Information Today 1 (February 2008).
- George H. Pike, NewsBreak: Thomson Beta-Testing WebPlus Optimized Internet Search Engine (12 November 2007).
- George H. Pike & M. Kristakis, Internet Searches: How to Get Accurate and Reliable Information, National Business Institute (2006).
- George H. Pike (with Fleming, Salpietro and Shunk) Find it Fast and Free on the Internet: Advanced Internet Strategies for Pennsylvania Legal Professionals, National Business Institute (2004, updated 2005, 2006, 2007).
SSRN Author Page
Selected Professional Activities
University of Pittsburgh Appointed Member, Provost’s Council on Academic Computing – 2008-11
Elected Member, University Senate and Faculty Assembly – 2005-08
Appointed Member, University Senate and Faculty Assembly – 2003-05
Appointed Member, University Wireless Advisory Committee – 2005-06
Ex Officio Member, Senate Library Committee – 2004-09
Elected Member, Senate Computer Usage Committee – 2003-06, 2006-09 (Co-Chair 2007-09)
School of Law Appointed Member, Strategic Planning Working Group – 2006-07
Elected Member, Steering Committee – 1995-96, 2003-04, 2005-06
Academic Standards Committee – 1999-2000 (Chair), 2002-03, 2004-05, 2006-08 (Chair). 2008-09
Ad Hoc Committee on Classroom Renovation – 1999-2001
Ex Officio Member, Library & Technology Committee, Budget & Planning Committee – 1994-2009
Other committee appointments include Honor Board, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Clinic Committee, Placement Committee
American Association of Law Libraries
Appointed Member, AALL Copyright Committee – 2009-12
Appointed Member, AALL Open Source Advisory Committee – 2004-06
Chair, Awards Committee, Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section – 2004-05