From Matis, Baum, O'Connor
Brian O’Connor has been a member of the firm for 23 years. His practice is concentrated in the defense of physicians, hospitals, and nursing homes in medical negligence cases. Brian also represents healthcare providers in licensing matters before the Pennsylvania State Board of Medicine. A portion of his practice is devoted to defending businesses in products liability matters, including elevator accidents and power line accidents.
Mr. O’Connor has tried over 50 jury trials in all counties of western Pennsylvania and the federal courts of the Western District and Middle District of Pennsylvania. He has represented countless defendants in mediations and arbitrations in healthcare-related litigation.
Brian is a Fellow in the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County and an Adjunct Professor of law at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. He is a frequent lecturer to physician groups, as well as the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
Since 2009, Brian has been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for the defense of medical negligence cases. Brian was recognized in the 2016 edition of Best Lawyers in America for his work in the practice area of “Medical Malpractice Law- Defendants.”
Prior to joining Matis Baum O’Connor, Mr. O’Connor served as an Assistant District Attorney in Allegheny County, where he tried numerous non-jury trials and multiple jury trials on behalf of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Brian is active in the Pittsburgh community. He served for two decades as President of Christian Housing, Inc., a non-profit dedicated to providing housing to the elderly poor. Brian is also a former president of the Pittsburgh St. Thomas More Society.
Brian is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as well as in federal court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- The Current State of Medical Malpractice Litigation in Pennsylvania
ACBA Health Care Section Meeting
- The Medical Protective Company Risk Management Seminar
- GE Medical Protective Company Risk Management Education Presentation
- MCare Act, Informed Consent, Certificates of Merit and Status of Tort Reform
- Evidence in Personal Injury Cases – Demonstrative Evidence
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Podiatric Risk Management Seminar
- Tough Problems in Medical Malpractice
Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI), Pittsburgh, PA
- Medical Malpractice? A Case Study
The Western Pennsylvania Hospital
- Recent changes in PA Law Affecting Physicians
- Informed Consent and Other Issues Facing Physicians
Blair Medical Associates, Altoona, PA
- Status of Tort Reform in Pennsylvania
- Malpractice Issues for the Primary Care Physician
St. Francis Medical Center – Medical Grand Rounds
- Medicolegal Issues in Foot and Ankle Surgery
The Western Pennsylvania Hospital Scott Alter, DPM, Memorial Lecture Series
Selected Professional Activities
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, 2009-Present
- Member Allegheny County Bar Association, Health Care Law Section
- American Bar Association-Litigation Section
- Defense Research Institute-Medical Malpractice Section
- President, Christian Housing, Inc., 2006-July 2017