Position: Associate and Partner
Employer: Miles and Stockbridge
City/State: Baltimore, MD
Position: Managing Attorney, Claims and Litigation/Director of Risk Management
Employer: The Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation
City/State: Baltimore, MD
Current Position: UPMC Senior Associate Counsel and Director of Risk Management
Department: UPMC Corporate Legal
- Legal Issues, Evidence-based Surgery, edited by Gordon and Cameron, 2000
- Risk Management Fundamentals, Post Graduate Obstetrics & Gynecology, Volume 24, Number 20, October 15, 2004.
- Senior Executive Adopt-a-Work Unit: A Model for Safety Improvement Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety, Volume 30, Number 2, February 2004.
- Informed Consent: Whys, Wherefores, What Ifs Seminars in Interventional Radiology, Volume 18, Number 4, 2001.
- Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority Advisory, UPMC’s Experience with Disclosure of Medical Errors, Volume 5, Number 3, September 2008.
- Apology Legislation in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee Newsletter, 2009.
- Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Reply--The Physician’s Desk Reference Should Not be Held as a Legal Standard of Medical Care, Volume 152, No. 6, June 1998.
- Mediation of Professional Liability Claims at UPMC, American Health Lawyers Association Newsletter, June 2008.
- Instructor, Real World of Medicine: Legal Aspects, February 20, 2010.
- Medical/Legal Education Recordings for Oakstone Publishing Company, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009.
- Who is the Owner of the Slides, Blocks and Fixed Tissues?, American Journal of Surgical Pathology, Volume 26, No. 2, February 2002.
Selected Professional Activities
Admitted to Bar of Maryland, 1979.
Admission to Bar of Pennsylvania, September, 2005 (Corporate Counsel license).
Admitted to Bar of D.C., 1990.
Admitted to Bar of the United States Supreme Court, 1986.
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1981.
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1988.
United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 1979 (trial bar member).
United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland, 1981.
Board of Directors, Catholic Charities Free Health Care Center, 2008- Present.
Board of Directors, Tri-Century Insurance Company, 2005-Present.
Member, Maryland Governor’s Task Force on Medical Malpractice and Health Care Access, 2004.
Board of Directors, Josie King Foundation, 2004-Present.
Member, Joint State Government Commission on Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2006-Present.
Member, Office of Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 2008-Present.
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association, House of Delegates, 2008-Present.
Member, ASHRM (American Society for Healthcare Risk Management); Legislative Committee, 1997.
Member, MD-SHRM (Maryland Society for Healthcare Risk Management); Board of Directors, Member at Large 1999-2000; President Elect 2000-2001; President 2001-2002.
Chairman, Medical Center Insurance Company, Claims and Risk Management Committee, 1995 -1996.
Member, Johns Hopkins Pediatrics at Home, Inc., Board of Trustees, 1998-2004.
Editorial Advisory Board OB/GYN Malpractice Prevention, 1997-2004.
Chairman, Maryland Tort Reform Coalition, 2004.
Member, Board of Trustees, Mount St. Mary’s College 1993- 1997.
National Alumni Association President, Mount St. Mary’s College, 1993- 1997.
Licensure/Certification (Active Only)
License: PA Corporate Counsel Year: 2005
License: MD Year: 1979