Alan S. Baum
Adjunct Professor of Law
Alan regularly represents physicians, hospitals, long term care facilities, assisted living facilities, nurses and other healthcare professionals in litigation involving malpractice, as well as employment and administrative matters.
Alan S. Baum first arrived in Pittsburgh from his native Philadelphia in 1982 to work as an associate for the late Robert S. Grigsby. A seasoned and active trial lawyer, Alan is a long time member of the Allegheny County Bar Association. He has been a member of the ACBA Civil Litigation Section Counsel for many years, and served as the Chair of the section from 2006 - 2007.
As a result of a statewide nomination process in which attorneys were asked to nominate the best lawyers they have seen in action, Alan has been selected as a "Pennsylvania Super Lawyer." Only 5 percent of the total lawyers in the state are selected for inclusion. Alan was also invited to become a Fellow of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, and he now serves on its Board of Governors.
Alan is a sought-after lecturer and panelist for various continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Professional Education Systems Institute, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County and Allegheny County Bar Association.
With what little free time he has, Alan enjoys playing tenor saxophone and flute with a local rock and blues band. Alan and his wife Margie have two grown sons.
Alan is a founding member of Matis Baum O'Connor.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Federal Courts, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Medical Malpractice Issues for the Primary Care Physician, St. Francis Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA. March 17, 1999.
- Medical Malpractice: Focus on Orthopedic Surgery, Pennsylvania Association of Trial Lawyers (PaTLA), Pittsburgh, PA., October 12, 1999.
- Pennsylvania & New Jersey Nursing Home Negligence: Asserting Claims & Defending Nursing Homes, Professional Education Systems Institute (PESI), Pittsburgh, PA., March 6, 2002.
- Tough Problems in Medical Malpractice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI), Pittsburgh, PA., December 17, 2002.
- Pennsylvania Nursing Home Negligence Litigation: Preparation, Mediation & Trial, Professional Education Systems Institute (PESI), Pittsburgh, PA., March 21, 2003.
- New Civil Jury Instructions, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (PaTLA), Pittsburgh, PA., February 15, 2006.
- Trial of a Medical Malpractice Case, Pennsylvania Bar institute (PBI), Pittsburgh, PA., June 14, 2007.
- The Trial of a Nursing Home Case, Pennsylvania Health Care Association (PHCA/CALM) Annual Convention, Harrisburg, PA September 19, 2007.
Selected Professional Activities
- Rated AV in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory ("A" legal ability rating of high to very high; and "V" general recommendation of very high).
- Who’s Who in America; Who’s Who in American Law; Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America.
- Fellow of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County; Member of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County; Allegheny County Bar Foundation; Defense Research Institute (DRI); Court Rules Committee; ACBA Players Bench Bar Show Orchestra.