Clinical Bioethics and Law
|Term: Fall Term 2013-14 (2141)|
|Catalog Number: 5980|
|Class Number: 14607|
|Instructor: Alan Meisel|
|Credits: 3.0 Credits|
This course meets in the Summer of 2013, from May 13 through June 28. Enrollment is for the Fall 2013-14 Semester, and credits are awarded at the end of this term.
|Priority: General Enrollment Course|
In addition, students are required to:
- Contact Dr. Valerie Satkoske by email via her administrator, Janet Malis (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, March 25.
- Pre-register for and attend the Medical Ethics Update Conference on March 29; contact Ms. Pischke for information (email@example.com).
- Attend an orientation session on April 4, noon-1:00 in the seminar room of the Center for Bioethics and Health Law (CBHL), 300 Medical Arts Building.
- Meet medical, legal, and institutional requirements of the clinical site and be cleared to interact with patients, as discussed during orientation.
- Spend 2 mornings and 1 full day in assigned clinical settings each week.
- Attend at least one ethics committee meeting at an identified site.
- Attend and complete the requirements of a weekly seminar in clinical ethics and medical sociology, Mondays, 3:00-6:00, which includes discussion of assigned readings, case presentations, guest speakers, written case analysis, maintenance and submission of a journal or field notes of the clinical experience for review and comment.
During this full-time course, students do not have time to be employed and may not do an externship concurrently.
Grade is based on evaluation by faculty and on the paper(s). Pass/Fail.