U.S. Law & Language
U.S. Law & Language is a certificate course that teaches students how to use English in a legal context and become better prepared for class discussions and assignments in American LL.M programs.
The U.S. Law & Language program will be offered
on our Pittsburgh campus every summer. Check back later for 2014 dates!
The University of Pittsburgh is one of few law schools in the United States to offer a comprehensive introduction to Legal English and American legal education. It is offered on the Pitt campus for three weeks every summer, and at foreign law schools upon request.
Professors Ann Sinsheimer and Teresa Brostoff created the course and wrote the leading textbook in this field Legal English: An Introduction to the Legal Language and Culture of the United States.
- Program Dates: Offered for two weeks every July, beginning on the last Monday of the month.
- Program Costs/Tuition: $1,900: This includes the price of all books and materials.
- Housing: If you are interested in housing opportunities, please contact the CILE office for the most current information.
- Academic & Social Programs: Students attend class in the mornings and participate in lectures and visits to courts, law firms, and other legal institutions in the afternoons. Special social events will also be arranged.
- Medical Insurance: Students are required to have medical insurance for the entire length of their stay.
- Application Process: The completed application should be sent with a check in the amount of $200 (nonrefundable tuition deposit) to:
Center for International Legal Education, Room 318,
University of Pittsburgh School of Law,
3900 Forbes Avenue,
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 U.S.A.
- Payment: The tuition balance is due in full on the first day of class. Payment may be made through an international money order, an international draft, or a check drawn on a U.S. domestic bank made payable to “The University of Pittsburgh.” Please write the student’s name on the check.
- Application Deadline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Space may be limited and acceptance will be based on the date an application is received. We suggest that applications be submitted as early as possible.
Inquiries should be addressed to the CILE office at the above address, or via phone at (412) 648-7023. You may also contact us by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To arrange for CILE to present the U.S. Law & Language course at a foreign law school, please contact CILE Director Ronald Brand.